Filed under "Alerts"
More articles »
Local Capitol Days & Grant OpportunitiesTuesday, November 12, 2019
Iowans with Disabilities in Action will provide eight Capitol Day grants up to $500 each for advocacy training and support to local advocacy groups who are interested in meeting with their legislators at the Iowa State Capitol and advocating on behalf of disability-related issues.
Eligibility and Applying for Capitol Day Grants
The following are the requirements for your group to be eligible to apply for an Iowans with Disabilities in Action Capitol Day grant:
- Your group must consist of at least 10 people with a disability (no more than 20)
- Your group must advocate for disability-related issues
Grant Recipient Requirements
As an Iowans with Disabilities in Action Capitol Day grant recipient, your group must:
- Schedule a Capitol Day on either Tuesday or Wednesday in the months of January through April
- Participate in an advocacy training at the beginning of the Capitol Day
- Set appointments with your legislators (Iowans with Disabilities in Action can assist)
- Provide a written recap of your Capitol Day within two weeks of your visit, including any follow-up communication with legislators
While at the Capitol you may also want to participate in the following:
- Watch a floor debate
- Attend a committee meeting
- Meet with other state agencies
- Meet with Iowans with Disabilities in Action or Iowa Developmental Disabilities Council staff
To apply for an Iowans with Disabilities in Action Capitol Day grant, please fill out the grant application online at www.idaction.org. Call 866-432-2846 or email us at email@example.com with any questions.
How ID Action can connect YOU to the Caucuses
ID Action has created several caucus initiatives with the goal of getting more people affected by disabilities to be active and involved in the Iowa caucuses. The success of these efforts depends on you!
Take a few minutes to review the descriptions below. If there is something you are interested in and you need more information, check the Iowans with Disabilities in Action website at www.idaction.org, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us toll-free at 866-432-2846.
- Debate-Watching Party Grants: Get 10 of your friends together and have a debate-watching party. Grants of $50 are available to buy food, rent a room or to cover other expenses.
- Caucus Grant: Grants of $150 are available for educational workshops, grassroots get-out-the-vote activities, candidate forums or other creative activities that increase interest and involvement in the Iowa caucuses. Have an idea? Contact us now.
- Online Links: Go to the Iowans with Disabilities in Action website for links to the resources and information you need to help you become a more informed voter and effective advocate. Visit us at
Grants are available on a first-come, first-served basis for eligible groups. Iowans with Disabilities in Action Capitol Day grants cannot be used to attend other organizations’ lobby days.