Filed under "Alerts"
More articles »
Local Capitol Day Grants - 2019Monday, December 31, 2018
Iowans with Disabilities in Action will provide eight Capitol Day grants up to $500 each for advocacy training and support to local advocacy groups who are interested in visiting the Iowa State Capitol, learning about the legislative process and meeting with their legislators to advocate for their issues.
Eligibility and applying for Capitol Day grants
The following are the requirements for your group to be eligible to apply for an Iowans with Disabilities in Action Capitol Day grant:
- Your group must consist of at least 10 people with a disability (no more than 20)
- Your group must advocate for disability-related issues
Grant recipient requirements
As an Iowans with Disabilities in Action Capitol Day grant recipient, your group must:
- Schedule a Capitol Day on either Tuesday or Wednesday in the months of January through April
- Participate in an advocacy training at the beginning of the Capitol Day
- Set appointments with your legislators (Iowans with Disabilities in Action can assist)
- Provide a written recap of your Capitol Day within two weeks of your visit, including any follow-up communication with legislators
While at the capitol you may also want to participate in the following:
- Watch a floor debate
- Attend a committee meeting
- Meet with other state agencies
- Meet with Iowans with Disabilities in Action or Iowa Developmental Disabilities Council staff
To apply for an Iowans with Disabilities in Action Capitol Day grant, please fill out the grant application. Call 866-432-2846 or email us at email@example.com with any questions. Grants are available on a first-come, first-served basis for eligible groups.
Iowans with Disabilities in Action Capitol Day grants cannot be used to attend other organizations’ lobby days.