Capitol Advocacy Days
Iowans with Disabilities in Action will provide eight Capitol Advocacy Days grants up to $500 each for advocacy training and support to local advocacy groups who are interested in meeting with their legislators at the Iowa State Capitol and advocating on behalf of disability-related issues.
Eligibility and Applying for Capitol Advocacy Days Grants
The following are the requirements for your group to be eligible to apply for an Iowans with Disabilities in Action Capitol Advocacy Days grant:
- Your group must consist of at least 5 people with a disability and/or family members (no more than 20).
- Your group must advocate for disability-related issues.
Grant Recipient Requirements
As an Iowans with Disabilities in Action Capitol Day grant recipient, your group must:
- Schedule a Capitol Day on either Tuesday or Wednesday in the months of January through March
- Participate in an advocacy training at the beginning of the Capitol Advocacy Day
- Schedule appointments with your legislators (Iowans with Disabilities in Action can assist)
- Provide a written recap of your Capitol Advocacy Day within two weeks of your visit, including any follow-up communication with legislators
While at the Capitol, you may also want to participate in the following:
- Watch a floor debate
- Attend a committee meeting
- Meet with other state agencies
- Meet with Iowans with Disabilities in Action or Iowa Developmental Disabilities Council staff
Apply for the Grant
To apply for an Iowans with Disabilities in Action Capitol Day grant, please fill out the 2022 Capitol Advocacy Days grant application.
Call (800) 452-1936 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. Grants are available on a first-come, first-served basis for eligible groups.
Grants will be provided as reimbursements for actual expenses including transportation or accommodations for participation.
Iowans with Disabilities in Action Capitol Advocacy Day grants cannot be used to attend other organizations' lobby days.